Friday, December 23, 2005

IT MAKES IT ALL WORTH IT


I made a patient's wife cry today. Let me explain. This gentleman in his 50's hasn't seen 20/20 in years. He's had Fuch's dystrophy that required PKP in the right eye 3 years ago. His resultant cornea has 6 diopters of astigmatism. I ordered a contact lens for him last week. They came in and with the contact lens in his eye he's seeing 20/20! His wife cried. I almost cried too because ordinarily my post-PKP contact lenses are a disaster.

But I got a little teary eyed because it has been years of Fuch's dystrophy, and 3 years of post-op PK, and now for the 1st time since he was in his 30's, he's seeing 20/20. It makes it all worth it!

1 comment:

  1. Great job Kevin!
    I had a similar experience with a 30 something old truck driver. Somehow he'd managed to be overlooked for visual acutity on his CDL despite 20/60 BVA in his right eye. With a large diameter RGP I got him to 20/25 and he happily "kept on trucking".
    By the way, RGP fit compliments of Jim Slightom with ABB Optical. He's a really valuable resource for tough RGP fits.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment or Question: